Jeff Bridges takes over for John Wayne in the Coen Brothers' adaptation of a Western classic, in which a plucky teenage girl hires gruff U.S. Marshal Rooster Cogburn to track down the man who killed her father. And whether Rooster likes it or not, young Mattie is determined to accompany him on the manhunt to make sure he gets the job done. Joined by a Texas Ranger (Matt Damon) looking for the same man, the trio ventures into the wilds of Indian Territory in search of justice, vengeance, and their own "grit."
Oscar 2011 Nominee for Best Picture
Trailers + Extras
- What is True Grit? The cast talk about what True Grit is and if they have it
- True Grit Trailer 2
- Damon's New Identity Matt talks about the lengths he went to get into character
- "Hunt" TV Spot
- Bridges & Damon Team Up Matt & Jeff talk very fondly of each other
- "Click" TV Spot
- Rooster Cogburn Jeff Bridges talks about the challenges of playing his...
- "No Law" TV Spot
- A Young Talent
- True Grit French Trailer
- The NYC Premiere of True Grit The stars come out to celebrate the premiere of True Grit
- The Coen Bros. The Cast talk about working with The Coen Brothers
- I'm a Texas Ranger
- One Eyed Man
- You Are Not Going
- No Affidavit
- On the Set of True Grit A look at the making of True Grit
- Gritapalooza Fans of True Grit come out to celebrate in Fort Smith,...
- The Music of True Grit The composer talks about how he created the score of the...
- The Costumes of True Grit The Cosutme Designer talks about dressing the characters...
- The Cinematography of True Grit Roger Deakins talks about creating the visual look of...
- The Production Design of True Grit The crew talks about recreating the Old West
- The Characters of True Grit The cast members of True Grit break down what makes each...
- True Grit Trailer
- The Reverse Angle: True Grit (Extended Cut) An extended behind the scenes look at the making of True...
- The Reverse Angle: True Grit A look behind the scenes at the making of True Grit
Top 10 Fun Facts
- The Coen Bros. are no strangers to the big show: True Grit was nominated for 10 Academy Awards.
- Grit goes overseas: True Grit was named opener of the 61st Annual Berlin International Film Festival.
- Déjà vu: this is second film adapted from Charles Portis' 1968 novel 'True Grit'. The first version, starring John Wayne, was released in 1969.
- Two Roosters, two Oscar nods: John Wayne won the Oscar for Best Actor for portraying Rooster Cogburn. 41 years later, Jeff Bridges earned an Oscar nomination for playing the same role.
- Just call him Jeff "Back-to-Back" Bridges: This was Bridges' second consecutive Oscar nomination for Best Actor. He won the previous year for his role in Crazy Heart - in which he also sported a cowboy hat (sans eyepatch).
- Body double trouble: Elizabeth Marvel, who played the adult Mattie, had less screen time than her body double, Ruth Morris.
- Make sure you're home by midnight, Hailee! An adult double was used in place of actress Hailee Steinfeld in some night scenes, as she wasn't able to shoot past midnight due to child labor laws.
- Does this kid have a sense of humor or what?! Ethan Coen's 15-year old son Buster worked on the film as the script supervisor's assistant. When asked what credit he wanted in the film, Buster chose "Matt Damon's Abs Double".
- Family-friendly Grit: True Grit was the Coen Bros' first PG-13 movie since Intolerable Cruelty in 2003.
- Table for four, please. The restaurant Rooster mentions to Mattie, The Green Frog, actually exists! It's located in Jacksboro Texas.